If you are selling your home sometime soon and you have been working like a squatter at the dining room table, then consider the increased appeal of incorporating a small office at home. Do it right and your home will appeal to more potential buyers when you sell your home.
In a recent article published, a well-known head-hunter in SA confirmed that there definitely is a growing trend in SA that favours more flexible remote working solutions from the formal business sectors. In fact, 80% of the companies polled offered remote working solutions. And 20% of the companies that do not offer this remote working solution have said that some pretty amazing talent actually turned down their job offers as a result. In fact, most of the time this question about “do you offer remote working solutions” comes up at the interview stage and is consistent across all levels of management.
Why then if you live in a 3- or 4-bedroom home and you are already working from home, do you not turn that spare bedroom into a functional guest bedroom and a small office. Prominent estate agents will agree that should you consider staging an unused bedroom to accommodate this local market trend, and if you get it right, this could actually work in your favour when you sell your home. Why not consider a hybrid option that uses incorporates your functional guest bedroom and your home office in one? What’s important in this day and age when you sell your home is to make sure that you are able to really maximise the square meterage of your home.
Home stage your functional guest bedroom
Here are some tips to maximise the space in the guest bedroom especially if the room is a little smaller than the other rooms in your home. Remember that a guest bedroom is always seen as a plus by potential buyers so keep it if you can because that was the intended purpose of the room when the house was built. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Swap out a large king or queen size mattress for something a little smaller. A double bed will do. The room will appear bigger, and you will have more space for your small office.
- Make sure to incorporate as much natural light as possible. You want great working conditions for yourself.
- Clean out the clutter and keep the items you store in the guest room to a minimum.
- If the room still ‘looks’ small, then consider painting the room in neutral colours. Make sure the walls and the trims are painted in the same colour.
- Swap out your linen or go shopping for new linen that is as white as possible. There is a reason why most hotel rooms provide white linen. That’s because it looks gorgeous.
- Keep the bedside tables free from clutter.
- Make sure to air the room and make sure it’s dust-free, clean, and spotless.
- Paintings can be such a great focal point in this room but keep this to a minimum if you can.
- Scatter cushions can add a splash of colour to that white linen but keep it to a minimum.
- Go shopping for some nice new bedside tables that will look good and will allow your guest to read at night before they turn in.
Working from home, then create a trendy workspace at home
We all agree that a few years ago it might have been perceived as luxurious to have a dedicated office in your home. But, now working from home has become the norm. More companies don’t even want some staff back. Working from home or working remotely is now the done thing. Why not embrace this trend. If you do this right, this little office can really work for you and it will offer you a practical, versatile solution in a space that allows you to be happy and comfortable in. Let’s work on creating a dynamic, healthy, happy, and special working space for you to enjoy on a daily basis. Here are some home office staging tips to consider:
- Keep only the essentials you need for an office, like your desk, chair, bookshelf, and an area rug.
- You are going for a minimalist look and that means removing any paperwork and unnecessary items from plain view. It’s the perfect time to declutter and neaten things up.
- Hang a piece of art hang it behind the desk if you can because it just works.
- Paint the walls in calming, neutral colours. The room will appear bigger for it.
- Pop a modern looking standing lamp on your desk if need be.
- Go shopping for some neat, funky, stylish, and colourful organisers to really show off your space.
- The most important tip of all is to make sure that the few carefully placed art or décor pieces are only really included to liven the place up. You want to avoid making the room seem overly busy.
Estate Agents – want to know more about KW?
Keller Williams (USA) is a top real estate brand to work for. If you are an estate agent and want to know a little more drop me an e-mail. If you would like to leverage world-class technology to the benefit of all our stakeholders across the value chain and end up with a win-win every time, then let’s touch base. Also, read what makes Keller Williams the best!
Get in touch
So, if you need a valuation done on a property anywhere in Randburg or elsewhere in Jhb, we can help. Give us a call on telephone number (064) 549-3123. Alternatively, drop us an e-mail at email@example.com. We have a vast network of almost 1,500 top Keller Williams agents at our fingertips who are all just dying for the opportunity to partner with you to sell and conclude your property transaction in record time.
If you want to view all the Keller Williams properties across the country, click on our website to start the search for your dream home. Need help getting a pre-approved homeloan, it’s free and our strategic partners will find you the best rate over 20 years! And finally, if you are thinking of putting your property on the market and need a free property valuation, click here!
Visit Our Content Library
- Property Trends – click here to see a range of topics covered.
- Free Property Valuations – click here to see the range of topics covered.
- Property Advice – click here to see a range of articles to help you.
- Homeowner Tips – click here to see the range of content we have covered.
- Property Transfer Process – click here to view a range of content covered.